Slytherin/Ravenclaw Overlap Dynamic

I’ve been really frustrated recently because I’ve been doing research about where different MBTI personality types are usually sorted in Hogwarts houses or where they would fit due to values and traits and stuff. (I’ve also been getting mixed signals from these damn typing tests, but I digress.) Anyway, my personality type(s) are very heavily primarily Ravenclaw. As in, the personality type I thought I was (INTP) and the personality type I keep getting (ISTP) have had the result of Ravenclaw on every site I’ve found that sorts personality types into houses. Every. Site.

This is ticking me off a little, seeing as I am a belligerently a loud and proud Slytherin, but it got me thinking. There’s a bit of an overlap between the two houses, isn’t there? I mean, aside from the obvious students who wanted to be in one house or another, there is overlap.

Yes, I am a Slytherin, and I will proudly proclaim that fact to everyone until the day I die, but I very well could have been a Ravenclaw. Yes, I’ll admit it. I do value learning, but my reason for valuing learning is, I think, the heart of the matter. I value learning because the more useful knowledge I acquire, the higher and farther I will advance in life (in theory). I value learning to achieve my goals. To get me where my ambition drives me to be.

A true Ravenclaw values learning for learning’s sake. They wish to know more about the world around them due to pure curiosity. They do not necessarily use learning to better themselves, and indeed, most Ravenclaws I know don’t even always get the best grades in school. Because they want to learn, they don’t want to memorise to do well on a test. They aren’t intensely excited for the topics taught in schools, because they want to know why the saying is “comparing apples and oranges” instead of “comparing kumquats and that man’s left femur”. Ravenclaws are the philosophers. They spend their time day dreaming and painting. They’re the artists, and they want everyone else to be as fascinated with the random things they find interesting as they are. They love knowledge, rather than achievement, and they want everyone else to have the same thirst for knowledge and things that are forced on them makes them withdraw that thirst. If they are forced to learn something, they quickly lose interest, because that removes the entire appeal of learning.

Slytherins, conversely, get excellent grades in school. They are advanced in everything, and are usually the ones trying to graduate early and take dual credit courses and get all their credits early. Because they know how good that will look on transcripts, and they know that it will put them a step ahead of everyone else in this silly little game called life. They try for Valedictorian, and attempt for the best in everything, just to prove that they’re the best (or at the very least, better than you). Slytherins are the planners. They take the necessary steps to achieve their goals and do it to the best of their ability, in order to leave everyone else in the dust and prove their worth. To prove that they will be the ones going far in life, and they do! They don’t much care what happens to the other people because they are so focused on their own futures that no one else’s matter. They don’t necessarily care about retaining the information or being able to apply it to their own field of work, they know that they just need to make it through the courses with excellent grades to be accepted into top notch colleges whose names will make potential employers salivate.

tl;dr: Ravenclaws and Slytherins aren’t that different. They just focus on different parts of the knowledge they value and apply it differently to their lives. But never let anyone tell you that they’re not similar houses because they so are.

Comments

Popular Posts